Thursday, May 3, 2007

Its The Constitution, Stupid


Building on the words of James Carville, ("Its the economy, stupid"), I believe the most important issue of the day is the US Constitution and the related amendments, primarily the Bill of Rights (1st ten Amendments if you slept through the third grade). You see, I believe that the drafters of the Constitution were just as inspired by God as the writers of any book in the Bible. Have you read it lately? (the Constitution, that is - I hope you have read the Bible) How about within the last 10 years? No?

How about this question: What liberties are protected in the 1st Amendment? All we seem to really think about, due to the drive-by media, is Freedom of Speech and Americans equate the 1st Amendment to Freedom of Speech. In fact, the website for Emory Law School (hey, it was the first Google link, ok) had this title for it:

Amendment I: Freedom of speech, religion, press, petition and assembly.

It will surprise you, I think, to see the whole Amendment, which I have posted below. Notice what Emory Law School lists as the first freedom in their title and then notice what the Founders listed as the first freedom guaranteed by the Bill of Rights. Interesting.

I guess I am a strict Constitutionist, so to speak. I believe it is a clear document and that, over time, it has been polluted by interpretation. We need to go back and really read it to understand where the founders of this nation saw the role of government in our lives, along with the relationship of the Federal government to the states. (The 9th and 10th Amendments address this).

Amendment 1: Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

On the National Day of Prayer, I prayed for our Constitution.